At the turn of the millenium, the UK government promised to eradicate fuel poverty by 2016.
16 years later, what’s the state of play?
Here are the facts and figures as delivered in BBC Panorama’s latest report, March 2016:
- 9000 people died as a result of living in a cold home in 2015 – that’s equivalent to almost 80 people every day
- 1 in 10 pensioners is officially in fuel poverty
- By the government’s own figures, more than 5million remain in fuel poverty today
- £2.8 billion has already been spent on installing energy efficiency measures
- Energy companies have been tasked to make 1 million homes warmer by 2020
- The poorest in the UK get £140 off their energy bills each year
- An estimated 12 million people in the UK skip meals to pay their energy bills
- 20% of the UK population are in fuel poverty according to Professor David Gordon from the University of Bristol
- More than 1 million working families are officially in fuel poverty in the UK
- Fuel poverty is costing the NHS an estimated £1.3 billion
- The government has invested £1 million to help people who are ill as a result of living in a cold home
- The government have set up a committee to tackle the problem of fuel poverty
- Half the committee members have a direct link to the energy industry.
- Expertise in fuel poverty was not required according to the application form for the committee.
- In March the competition and markets authority accused energy companies of being uncompetitive and over-charging customers.
- Energy companies have come under fire for pushing customers onto expensive pre-payment meters
- There are now almost 8 million pre-payment energy meters across UK
- More than half a million pre-payment energy meters have been forcibly installed in homes across the UK in 6 years
- Islington Council is helping local council residents to challenge warrants to forcibly install pre-payment meters.
- Over 2 million children are growing up in fuel poverty in the UK.
You can watch the entire BBC Panorama “Too Poor to Stay Warm” episode here: http://ow.ly/A85P300wCGz